Wednesday, February 14, 2007

My Bloody Valentine.



I've been planning for weeks now to donate blood but somehow, things got into my way and as such prevented me from acting upon this noble plan.

So, today, I carried my tired feet (I came from a tennis game) to the Philippine General Hospital. I was with Ayn, a law school friend (who's also a regular volunteer). Unfortunately, she did not pass the initial test because of lack of sleep. (I hope you see the connection. Lol.) Luckily for me, I was allowed to undergo the whole process of the exciting experience of blood donation. Incidentally, a couple (Mang Renato and Aling Dahlia) was waiting for a volunteer because they badly need some bags of blood for the impending operation of Aling Dahlia. They talked to me and I sincerely said Yes, knowing that what I will be doing is for a good cause. The dreaded needle expectedly hurt a bit but I was able to bear the pain, thank God.

While the blood is flowing from my system to the blood bags, I read a meaningful poem posted on the wall. It wrote:

I gave blood, Christ gave all
I gave a pint, He gave it all
The needle is small and sharp
The nails were large and dull
The cot is soft and restful
The cross is rough and hard.

The Med Techs are kind and gentle
The soldiers were cruel and mean
The crowd applauds my sacrifice
They that passed by reviled Him

Mine is type O positive
His is positive for all
Mine at best will prolong life for a while
His without doubt, saves all forever.


Mang Renato and Aling Dahlia showed their appreciation and thanked me almost endlessly. On my part, I feel thankful also because I had the chance to help these people unknown to me. I guess we all have this ardent desire to be of help to others. To share. To give. I came there because I felt that urge, that desire to do good. I thought to myself that I've been committing so much shortcomings as a human being (I hope you get my drift, it's hard to elaborate) and that it is high time that I do something worthwhile and meaningful that could produce a positive effect to me as well as to others.

The state of happiness that I am experiencing right now is priceless. I hope and pray that Aling Dahlia will have a successful operation and that she'll be able to restore her health to normal.

With that, I encourage you my friends to be a volunteer. Donating blood can change and help rebuild the lives of others.

CONTACT ME AND TOGETHER, LET'S VOLUNTEER FOR THIS WORTHY CAUSE.
INVITE YOUR FRIENDS,TOO.

Happy Valentine's to all!

No comments: